Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Emily Dickinson


"Anger as soon as fed is dead. 'Tis starving makes it fat."

“Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune without words, and never stops at all.”

“To love is so startling it leaves little time for anything else.”

“Love is anterior to life, posterior to death, initial of creation, and the exponent of breath.”

“Unable are the loved to die, for love is immortality.”

“Saying nothing...sometimes says the most.”

“Truth is so rare that it is delightful to tell it.”

“Forever is composed of nows.”

“Find ecstasy in life; the mere sense of living is joy enough.”

“Beauty is not caused. It is.”

“Because I could not stop for death, He kindly stopped for me; The carriage held but just ourselves and immortality.”

“Not knowing when the dawn will come, I open every door.”

“Morning without you is a dwindled dawn.”

“Dying is a wild night and a new road.”

“That it will never come again is what makes life sweet.”

"
I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us--don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know. How dreary to be somebody!
How public, like a frog
To tell your name the livelong day
To an admiring bog!"

“To whom the mornings are like nights, What must the midnights be!”

"
Finite to fail, but infinite to venture."

"If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry."

" Tell the truth, but tell it slant."

" They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity."

" Whenever a thing is done for the first time, it releases a little demon."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home