Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Charles Baudelaire


“Evil is done without effort, naturally, it is the working of fate; good is always the product of an art”

“It is the hour to be drunken! to escape being the martyred slaves of time, be ceaselessly drunk. On wine, on poetry, or on virtue, as you wish.”

“A breath of wind from the wings of madness.”

“Music fathoms the sky.”

“Always be a poet, even in prose.”

“I am unable to understand how a man of honor could take a newspaper in his hands without a shudder of disgust.”

“This life is a hospital in which every patient is possessed with a desire to change his bed.”

“Sexuality is the lyricism of the masses”

“True Civilization does not lie in gas, nor in steam, nor in turn-tables. It lies in the reduction of the traces of original sin.”

“I have cultivated my hysteria with delight and terror. Now I suffer continually from vertigo, and today, 23rd of January, 1862, I have received a singular warning, I have felt the wind of the wing of madness pass over me.”

“Any healthy man can go without food for two days, but not without poetry”

“I love Wagner, but the music I prefer is that of a cat hung up by its tail outside a window and trying to stick to the panes of glass with its paws”

“A sweetheart is a bottle of wine, a wife is a wine bottle”

“The lover of life makes the whole world into his family, just as the lover of the fair sex creates his from all the lovely women he has found, from those that could be found, and those who are impossible to find.”

“I have more memories than if I were a thousand years old.”

“There are as many kinds of beauty as there are habitual ways of seeking happiness.”

“Those men get along best with women who can get along best without them.”


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home